Baby showers are a great way to celebrate the upcoming arrival of a new life. That much is clearly obvious. For what other reason would women get together and “shower” another woman with gifts (other than of course a bridal shower)? They have been a tradition for many years, and they serve as a very handy event for the new parents – they help in preparing for the new baby.
Is it Appropriate to Have a Second Baby Shower?
Some people will say no, and some will say yes. I say yes, absolutely, positively yes. However, I have some restrictions with my opinion. Here’s my take on the whole thing:
Having a child is not cheap. Heck, living is not cheap. Baby showers offer the new parents a head start in the financial strap down that children ultimately will incur. Before anyone gets upset with that last comment, take it for a grain of salt. I have 4 children myself and would never ever trade it for the world. But the fact remains…they break me financially on a daily basis. It is what it is.
When It IS Appropriate to Have a Second Baby Shower
- If there is a large gap of many years spread between children – the last child born is old enough that there is currently no more baby equipment anywhere in the house.
- When a mother is having twins. She may or may not have left over baby stuff from her first child, but she most likely doesn’t have two of anything.
- If the baby is of the other gender.
When It Is NOT Appropriate to Have a Second Baby Shower
- When you’re being selfish and only want one because…well you don’t have a real reason.
- When it’s going to put unnecessary stress on your friends and family members. If you really want one, host it yourself!
- When you literally just had a baby and you already have everything you need.
I realize that the above list isn’t inclusive and could be taken many different ways. There are times when a second shower is in order. I had a baby shower for my first baby, and then I had another baby 15 months after she was born. I didn’t have a shower for my second daughter. I already had everything I needed. It helped that I had 2 girls back to back. Then I got pregnant a few years later, when my youngest was 3 1/2. I went back and forth between whether or not I should have a second shower because
- A – I was having a boy this time around
- B – I still had some stuff from when the girls were babies that I could use
I ultimately ended up not having a second shower, and the reason for it was my own personal reasoning. I just didn’t want to go anywhere and be social. I had a very rough pregnancy and I didn’t feel like doing anything ever.
That was it. Plain and simple.
However…I COULD have had a second shower and it would have been completely acceptable.
If you’re hemmin and hawwin about whether or not you should have another baby shower for a child other than your first, hopefully this gave you some more things to hem and haw about. In a good way though. In the end, do what is right for you and your child and family. That’s all that matters.
Happy Baby Showering!
(If you found this post helpful, please share it with the buttons to your left so others can enjoy it as well!)
Need baby shower games? Click on the link at the top left hand side of this page that says “Baby Shower Games”. You’ll find all our games there.