No, it’s not your eyes, you read that right. Scavenger hunts are a highly sought after activity for parties in general, but can you really pull one off at a baby shower? And more importantly, should you?
A baby shower is a time for women (or men, or women and men!) to get together and shower the mother to be with gifts. Traditionally, food and cake is offered and games are played. So why not take a traditional event and modernize it a little bit? It’s already been modernized by allowing men to join the fun, so keep with the theme of “traditionally modern” and do a scavenger hunt! Rather than just playing the normal shower games , you could eliminate all of them and just do one great big hunt to occupy the time. They’re great because they really get all the guests involved, and by the end of the shower, the guests will be saying “wow, I’ve never done that at a baby shower before…what a unique idea!”
If you decide to try a scavenger hunt at a baby shower, here are some ideas you could use to give it an extra touch :
- Make the hunt baby themed
- If it’s co-ed baby shower, split the teams into girls vs boys
- All objects that you hide can be used as a gift for the mother-to-be
- Make sure you remember to get prizes for the winner(s)
- Put the clues on cute baby paper
- Incorporate the hunt to be in a women’s purse rather than a physical hunt (think about the game “What’s in Mommy’s Purse?”)
- It doesn’t have to be outside, but if it’s a nice day, your guests will enjoy being able to get outside
Those are obviously just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to different ideas you could use for a scavenger hunt at a baby shower. Use your imagination…the sky is the limit and you can do some very cool and unique stuff with an event like this. Just because it’s a baby shower doesn’t mean it has to go a certain way. The point of the shower is to have fun and to celebrate the upcoming new life that is happening (and of course to give the mother-to-be as much of a head start with baby supplies as she can get).
It doesn’t matter how many people you have attending, or whether they’re male or female or both…you can organize the hunt to any amount of people and any type of guest. You’ll never hear anyone complain about having fun. Talk it over with the mommy-to-be. If she’s all for it, why not give it a go?
(If you need some help in planning a scavenger hunt, here is a great resource you may find extremely beneficial : Scavenger Hunt Planning)
A few things to keep in mind while planning the hunt:
- You don’t want it to be too long. Maybe an hour tops. Remember you still need to do cake and presents.
- Keep it simple. It doesn’t have to be too fancy…just a fun thing for your guests and the mommy-to-be to enjoy. Plus, you don’t want the added stress of going over board.
- Tell your guests about the scavenger hunt on the invitation. It’s nice for them to know what to expect before arriving.
- Have an alternate option for the guests who don’t want to participate. This isn’t necessary in some cases.
- Get R.S.V.P’s – it helps to know how many prizes you need, and how much food you’ll need.
Not into the whole scavenger hung thing? No problem. Check out these other baby shower activities you can do that don’t require too much of an effort on your part. Think smarter not harder, right? 😉 (You can also get our free baby shower games by clicking on the links below.) Rather do some easy printable games? Get those here : Baby Shower Printable Games
Happy Baby Showering!
(If you found this post helpful, please share it with the buttons below so others can enjoy it as well!)